Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fruit Tea & Paratabs

I have a bunch of blogs queued up already that are much more interesting than this one, but I just felt the need to pay dues to some absolutely wonderful people I've had the pleasure to meet here...

Yesterday, Friday, I started my geology courses--FINALLY. I also woke up with a sore throat. By the time I came back from my last class at about 15:00 I was in the throes of that cursed thing we call the Flu. During class I had begun shaking and crying from the aches and pain; I had a fever and felt nauseous and congested. To put it lightly, I was absolutely miserable and knew that I wasn't going to be able to make it all the way to the pharmacy.

Enter "absolutely wonderful people..." I asked Shell if I she could go to the store for me today and she agreed, even going so far as to giving me a hug and just letting me collapse for a moment. Then, when I made it back to my room, Steven, an international student from Ireland, asked what was up and I explained to him how I felt. He was out and volunteered to check the 10-11 and see if there was something he could pick up for me. He ended up bringing me some fruit tea that more or less was a godsend.

I feel much better today. I'm no longer shaking or in pain, just congested and occasionally nauseous. The moral of the story, however, is a two-parter: 1) stock up on medication when you first arrive, you never know when you'll get sick and 2) make friends and then be very, very grateful for them. It's wrong to wish ailment on anyone, but if either of them get sick, I will be there to help them!!

(Also--SLEEP! That's probably the one thing I haven't been doing enough of here, and you don't realize how important it is until you get sick and end up sleeping for 17 hours.)

No comments:

Post a Comment