Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Obligatory Gratitude Post (Part II)

Part I is here.

Tomorrow I have the opportunity to have "Gamli-giving," which is the Icelandicized psuedo-Thanksgiving made in the style of the poor, displaced college students living here in Gamli Gardur. We've managed to find a turkey and there will be people and food and... well, I'm sure it will be a sight to behold and I will take pictures and post about it later--you know how I do.

Back in October, around Canadian Thanksgiving, I was asked what American Thanksgiving was about in relation to the date, since American Thanksgiving is observed in November. The askee figured it had to do with a significant event, like the "first" Thanksgiving or when our ancestors first arrived at Plymouth Rock. My answer? "It marks the beginning of the Christmas shopping season!"

I stand by the answer, because it is true.

...and technically we should be giving thanks every day, not just the fourth Thursday in November or the second Monday in October (but only if it's a leap year and the Queen is alive; special arrangements are made for any years ending in "5" or have born witness to a "blue moon," or you know, however the Canadians do it...) but I will admit, it is a nice thought: that everyone you know is gathering around a table that evening to gorge on turkey in gratitude.

This year I am especially grateful: I have had the amazing opportunity to come to Iceland! And if that was not enough, I was further blessed to get to know some beautiful new people who've taught me much about myself and what lies out there in the world around me. Ryan and Michelle especially--they've helped me with those typical "struggling undergrad" troubles, made this place home, and made sure that I changed clothes every once in a while so I didn't stink! I can't help but to think about everyone else here as very spirited friends, and would list them all out one-by-one and give the psychoanalytical breakdown I have filed in my noggin for them  in an effort to tell them how much I appreciate who they are and that they chose to come to Iceland, of all places, but that might get a little creepy. Feel free to ask though!

I've also had the opportunity to hear first hand about war and oppression from those who grew up with it and are now fighting against it. I get to hear stories about regimes in the Middle East, including the Taliban, which has been referred to as "the shit-group" many times now, and the policies they've enforced, especially those impacting women. All I can say is that I am so grateful that I did not have to grow up in that environment and that I do not have to return to it... But that will never feel like enough.

This year... this semester... this Thanksgiving day is one I hope I will never forget. I am not one to hold hope for humanity, but if there is any hope in me left, it will be manifested tomorrow when I can stop and stare and truly focus on all that I have been blessed with and all that I can be doing to bless the lives of those around me...

Gobble, Gobble!

No comments:

Post a Comment